With Father’s Day fast approaching, this week, we take a look at men’s health, including how well they sleep, how much they snore, and what allergies they have.
If you’ve spent time in the vicinity of a loud snorer, you’ll know how frustrating it is. Although studies show that more than half of us will snore at some point in our lives, overall, snoring is more common in men, with around 40% of adult men considered habitual snorers.
Why Do We Snore?
Snoring happens as we breathe and cause tissues in the back of our throat to vibrate. The sound mainly happens as we breathe in, and comes from the mouth, the nose, or if you’re really lucky, a combination of both!
The Risks Associated with Heavy Snoring
Light snoring may not affect the quality of our sleep, but heavy snoring can lead to a condition known as sleep apnea, a serious sleep disorder that causes a person to stop breathing repeatedly when asleep. People who experience sleep apnea are often tired during the day and are at increased risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
According to one study from a team at the University of California-San Diego, men may be at increased risk of sleep apnea as they age, due to decreasing levels of testosterone (1).
Men Allergies vs. Women’s
In the past, it was generally thought that women were more likely to suffer from allergies than men. However, according to Quest Diagnostics Health Trends Report – Allergies Across America (2), men may actually have a greater allergy risk than women. The study looked at more than 14 million blood test results and found that in comparison to women, men are more sensitive to 11 common allergens, including ragweed and mold, two dust mites, cats and dogs, and five foods.
Sleep Needs, Are They Different for Men and Women?
According to the National Sleep Foundation, men and women have the same nightly sleep needs of around seven to nine hours each night. But growing evidence suggests that although women get more sleep than men, the quality of their sleep may be worse. Furthermore, the way that we sleep also changes according to gender. A night’s sleep consists of four distinct sleep stages. Men tend to spend more time in the lighter sleep of stage one than women. But less time in stage three, a deep sleep that results in slower breathing and less brain activity.
Are Pollutants in The Bedroom Interrupting Your Sleep?
Did you know that pollutants in the bedroom can affect the quality of your sleep, as well as exacerbate allergies and snoring? According to one study from a team at the University of Washington (3), people exposed to high levels of pollutants in the bedroom are more likely to suffer poor quality sleep.
Improve Your Sleep Fast!
If you or someone you know is looking to improve sleep, allergies, or overall wellbeing, we recommend the Austin Air Bedroom Machine. Designed specifically to help people who have difficulty sleeping, its 5-stage filtration system is clinically proven to keep the air in your bedroom clean, safe, and free from airborne contaminants.
How does it work?
The Austin Air Bedroom Machine™ has 5 stages of filtration for ultimate all-round protection.
- The first filter traps larger pollutants such as dust, hair, and pet dander. In short, the large pollutants we can see.
- The second stage of filtration takes care of medium-sized particles, such as mold, spores, and pollen.
- The third stage of filtration uses a blend of Activated Carbon and Zeolite for the removal of chemicals, gases, and odors
- The fourth stage of filtration uses Medical Grade HEPA. HEPA removes 99.97% of all particles larger than 0.3 microns and 95% of all particles larger than 0.1 microns, this includes viruses, bacteria, and allergens.
- The fifth stage of filtration uses a military-grade HEGA carbon cloth for extra protection against viruses, bacteria, chemicals, and gases.
Austin Air’s unique 360-degree intake system
Unlike other brands, Austin Air uses a 360-degree intake system. Drawing air into all sides of the filter like this ensures maximum cleaning capacity. We are also the only air purifier constructed using solid steel and non-toxic powder-coated paint. No plastic, no polystyrene, and no off-gassing.
Unrivaled filter life
We are the only air purifier with a 5-year filter life. No other air purifier comes close to this.
Sleep like a baby with Austin Air!
Improve the quality of air in your bedroom, stop the snoring, stop the allergies, and get the good night’s sleep you deserve with the Austin Air Bedroom Machine®. If you’d like more info, follow the link HERE.
- Men May Have Greater Allergy Risk Than Women, Suggests Largest Ever National Allergy Study – May 25, 2011 (questdiagnostics.com)
- Relationship of Air Pollution to Sleep Disruption: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA) Sleep and MESA-Air Studies | B20. BIG DATA COMES TO SLEEP MEDICINE (atsjournals.org)